You might be accountable to your boss at work, but are you accountable to yourself? Do you regularly let yourself down or fail to live up to the standards you’ve set for yourself? You’re not alone. As a Brisbane life coach, I’ve realised that most people make plans that they never follow or set goals they never come close to achieving. This is a frustrating but when you start being accountable to yourself – anything is possible!
If you want to become more accountable this year, here are some tips:
• Keep a to-do list. If you don’t have a plan, you can’t hold yourself accountable to anything. Start each day with a detailed plan of what you want to accomplish. This list should consist of things that need to be done to maintain your life, as well as things that will bring you closer to achieving your goals.
• Make a schedule. A list of tasks isn’t enough. When are you going to do each item on that list? What is most important? What needs to be done first? Create a schedule and hold yourself to it. My Brisbane life coach tip is to start each day with a plan.
• Review your performance. Review your performance each day. You can review at the end of each task or review all of your tasks at the end of the day. Make note of your successes and failures. What can you learn that will make you more effective? What do you feel good about?
• Reward yourself. When you do well, give yourself a reward – motivation is very important. If you achieve a certain goal, treat yourself to something like a celebratory lunch with friends!
• Be clear on your goals. Your to-do list is largely dependent on your goals. It’s easy to sit around and accomplish little if you don’t have well-defined goals. You can’t hold yourself accountable without something to hold yourself accountable to. What are your five most important goals? Something I often recommend as a Brisbane life coach is to make a list!
• Have others hold you accountable. Whether you’re training for a marathon or trying to buy your first home, let others know your plans. You might be more inclined to take action. Who really wants to see you be successful? This person could be a great accountability partner.
What would you be capable of accomplishing if you could hold yourself accountable each day? The sky would be the limit. Today is the day you can begin to hold yourself responsible in all areas of your life. Be accountable to yourself and you’ll be amazed at what you can achieve!