As a Brisbane Life Coach, I believe there are many powerful reasons to smile. Smiling will make you feel happier and reduce your stress levels. Some research shows it can even boost your immune system and enable you to live longer. You could wait for something pleasant to happen that will put a smile on your face. However, with all these benefits in mind, you can also speed the process along. Start with these easy ways to make yourself smile.
Smile Because You Feel Good
You’re more likely to smile when you’re feeling strong and fit. Something I recommend as a Brisbane Life Coach is to invest in your health and wellbeing. Take time each day to nurture yourself.
Try these activities:
• Eat healthy. Plan nutritious meals and snacks. Eat lots of vegetables, fruits, and whole grains.
• Exercise regularly. Stay active. Find a variety of workouts that you enjoy, so you’ll want to stick with them.
• Sleep well. Make sleep a top priority. Go to bed at around the same time each night. Keep your bedroom dark and quiet. Develop a sleep routine before you go to bed.
• Spend time outdoors. Green spaces tend to lift our spirits. Have a picnic at a local beach or park. Hang a bird feeder in your garden. Spend your weekend camping or going for walks.
• Listen to music. Follow an energising Spotify playlist while exercising or doing household chores. Sing along with your favourite tunes or experiment with new genres.
• Get a hobby. Doing something you love helps you to achieve flow, a feeling of being fully engaged and energised.
• Take breaks. Pausing throughout the day reduces stress and increases your productivity. Slow down to drink a cup of tea or stroll around the block.
Smile Because You’re Spreading Happiness
Being generous can give you a warm glow on the inside and a big smile on the outside. Look for opportunities to share your happiness.
Spread some happiness with these activities:
• Listen closely. A little attention can make someone smile as much as any expensive gift. Show that you’re interested in what others have to say. With my Brisbane Life Coach clients, I encourage them to make eye contact and validate their feelings.
• Volunteer your services. Support worthy causes. Walk dogs at a local shelter or tutor high school students.
• Help your neighbours. Offer to help neighbours with their grocery shopping or garden work. This will certainly put a smile on their face!
• Buy local. Many small businesses are struggling right now. Help them out by buying from neighbourhood shops and restaurants whenever possible. Post positive reviews online and tell your family and friends about your favourite finds.
Other Activities to Make You Smile
• Make some popcorn and enjoy a funny movie or TV show.
• Go to a comedy club.
• Tell a joke.
• Play with your pets or visit an animal shelter.
• Write 3 funny things that happened today in your journal.
• Enjoy a backwards dinner, with dessert first.
• Play with your kids and let them choose the activity.
• Take a personal day to do whatever you feel like doing.
• Take a nap.
• Put on some music and dance like nobody’s watching.
• Perform Random Acts of Kindness.
A smile is a free and simple way to increase your chances of leading a longer, healthier, and happier life! It can be as easy as developing habits that will make you want to smile more often! Get more great tips to make your life full and happy here.